How do I configure packaging weights for shipping?
When shipping an item you need to think about the packaging that the item(s) will be sent in, including the maximum weight per box. There are a few simple settings that can automate this process for you, which the shipping modules will use when calculating the shipping costs.
These options only work with the S3, S4, S5, S6, & S7 shipping modules that have their Rate calculated by option set to Weight.
To configure the General Shipping Options, do the following:-
First tap or click Ecommerce from the menu;
- Then tap or click Shipping Options;
- Scroll down to General Shipping Options and amend the following fields:-
- Maximum weight per package - this is the maximum weight allowed per package;
- Empty package weight: % of order weight - this is used to calculate the weight of the package itself before any items are placed inside. If the ordered item(s) total weight is 10kg and you enter 5% here the box/ packet weight is calculated as 500g. As this is a % the empty package weight will change based on the the products weight;
- Package protective padding weight: % of order weight - this is used to calculate protective padding placed around the products (such as foam or bubble wrap). If the ordered item(s) total weight is 10kg and you enter 1% here the padding weight is calculated as 100g. As this is a % the protective padding weight will change based on the the products weight;
- Now tap or click Save Changes.
In the example above the total shipping weight would be 10.6kg, this is calculated as 10kg (product) + 500g (box/ packet at 5% of product weight) + 100g (protective padding at 1% of product weight). If the total shipping weight exceeds the Maximum weight per package the shipping module will split the ordered items up and start the calculations again for a second (third, fourth etc.) package.